Thursday, November 19, 2009

Kissing in November: a Celebration

This news may be coming a little late to some of you...or perhaps my proclamation is not for you...you decide. But I have declared November the month of kissing. Yes Kissing. Let me tell you why. Kissing is good...it is fun...and last time I checked it is not prohibited anywhere in scripture.

Now this is not a celebration of making out. Nor am I advocating get carried away with the kissing thing. You know what I am talking about... like when you get up the next morning, thinking ,"OH CRAP!" And if you have yet to graduate from high school you are automatically prohibited by me from this celebration. And for those of you who need me to overstate the obvious....if you are not in a committed relationship or married...you're out, too. You can't put the horse before the cart.

I think kissing gets a bad wrap. For those of us who are married, it gets lost. It tends to lose its meaning over time. How many times has Chris kissed me and I not really even taken notice. Or worse yet been a little irritated because I was otherwise occupied. In the business of doing life together, we overlook little things that use to mean so much. And you know what...we are missing out. Kissing is good. It has the power to join us together and remind us that ours is a special bond. It can take us back to really good carefree memories or simply remind us that we are in this all the way together. It is a tender touch that can say so much, so quickly.

Chris and I laughed when I first proclaimed November to be the month to celebrate kissing. But we started kissing more. It has been fun. And it has brought us back to a tenderness that frankly we needed. It has helped us connect as we pass in the hallway between running kids this way and that. It has been really, really good. Who new?

Now for those of you dating, I think kissing gets a bad wrap in your neck of the woods, too. Sometimes in the effort to preserve purity, we stop touching all together. I am all for purity. I cannot advocate it enough, but it is possible to kiss and be pure. And sometimes a little kiss, a little holding hands is the love language that needs to be spoken. Sometimes a kiss and a cuddle can remind of that we are secure in this relationship...we are known and loved. Sometimes your touch can speak more to your boyfriend/girlfriend's soul than your words can. And it is fun...and dating (especially dating the person who will one day be your spouse) is suppose to be fun!!!

In fact dating is a time for doing crazy things (like driving 2 hours just to share a meal) just because you want to. It's a time for thinking way to much about that other person...and working like mad to figure out more ways to see them,,,,making excuses to stop by. Dating is sitting is the same room not talking and not touching and being deliriously content because you are "together". And it is okay if it is about a little kissing, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment