Thursday, November 12, 2009

things equal are not the same

I volunteer two hours a week at an elementary school. It's not the one my son goes to. Why volunteer in a different school? I do it because I think they need me more. My son's school is blessed with lots of volunteers; you see them everywhere you go at school….helping in the media center, selling spirit wear, assisting in the cafeteria. They are in the classrooms tutoring students, working with groups, stuffing Thursday folders or cutting up materials for an activity later in the week. The school I volunteer in is not "blessed" with volunteers. I have been there 4 or 5 times and I have only met one other volunteer.

In many ways, the two schools I see are very alike. They are very clean and bright. Whenever I see children in the hall, they are quiet and walking in a line. There are at least two computers in each class and a wealth of other resources. I like the teachers I have met at both schools. They are experienced and very knowledgeable, and it is evident that they care about their students.

But when it comes to volunteers, these two schools are not the same. When I signed the volunteer log today there were 6 signatures on the page....4 of them were mine. I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means. I left the school at noon and went to my son's school to have lunch with my son. Now it is a much bigger school, but when I signed the visitor's log at around 12:30 pm there were already 50 other names before mine on the sheet, just for today...just for today. It’s hard to fathom how much volunteers do for a school, until there aren't any.


Each week I read one on one with a class of kindergarten students. But my son (who is in kindergarten) has a volunteer in his class that reads with students everyday or at least three times a week. I know part of the literacy curriculum requires for the students (especially in K-2) to read one on one with someone. But I don't know how that is possible in any CMS elementary school without volunteers. I wonder what happens on the days I don’t come to volunteer. Does an assistant spend time reading with them? And if the assistant does read with the students, then what is it that she is not doing….or could be doing if I or some other volunteer was there? It’s not like there are a wealth of assistants either.

I don't feel like I make a difference because I can't truly fill the need, not even for one class. But I have to believe that any time I give is helpful. I do know that the kids like having me come. I like them too. I hope that as I get to know them better, I can learn how best to help them.

When I first walked in to the school where I volunteer, I knew no one. I have been there now just a handful of times to volunteer, but I feel at home. When I sign in, I chat with the administrative assistants. I get my visitor tag and head down the hall to my first class. It is no longer strange to me. It’s a neat place where really good things are happening. You should come and see it for yourself.

1 comment: